Yay! You’re engaged and now the fun planning for your wedding begins. First you need to decide what season you will be wed and what your overall event vision will be. Once you have the date and location set you will start adding details and vendors to bring your vision to life. Your florist is going to be one of your key design vendors for your big day. You should feel comfortable and communicate well with them. Here is our advice when starting to look for a florist. The first thing to consider is that not all flower shops are created equal.
Special Event Florist: Event Florists specialize in weddings and events and love and live weddings. They not only have a wide array of rental items, they have skilled wedding designers and staff to seamlessly deliver. The specialty shop is focused on weddings and will prioritize you as an event client over anything including holidays or retail. Floral and event designers are usually made up of a group of creative individuals and planners, and will help you to realize your event vision, and how to bring it to life. You are not just buying flowers, but you are buying floral art customized for you.
Retail Flower shop: This type of flower shop can usually be found on a main street or shopping plaza near you, they usually have a focus as a retail store. They may offer wedding flowers but not specialize in it. Our advice is to be mindful of their team, including staff or designers that will create your designs.
When looking for a local florist. A great planning resource is the knot.com but we also recommend talking to friends and family for referrals. Also ask your other vendors, photographers, venue managers, and your hair stylists have experience with weddings, and will be great resources of information.
– When it’s time to schedule your floral appointment, arrive with a budget in mind.
On average, the total cost of wedding flowers range from 8% to 15% of your overall wedding budget. Read our blog on how much do wedding flowers cost
– Keep in mind the following factors that will affect your overall cost:
• Size of bridal party & the number of guest tables
• Variety of flowers, Size of arrangements & Seasonal availability
• Things to remember: Delivery & service set up & NJ state tax
– Bring the following items with you to your appointment:
• Inspiration photos of your favorite floral designs and wedding decor.
• Pictures of your gown, bridesmaid’s dresses, color scheme or color swatches.
• Bring someone with you who will help to make style decisions.
When making your decision we recommend you ask yourself:
• Do they “get you”? Do they get a sense of your style and budget? Do they offer options, suggestions and solutions? Do you feel comfortable with them? A good rapport is essential.
Choosing flowers should be a fun and easy process. Your florist is there to help you turn your vision into a perfectly styled event that reflects your personality. Happy Planning! If you are in need of a florist in the New Jersey and Greater Philadelphia area, we would love to meet you!